Introduction to project management
8 September 2022
This event took place about 1 month ago
- Course length
- 2 Day
- Helen Swatton
- Shaun McLaughlin
- HR, employment and jobs
- Course overview
In partnership, SCVO and Challenges Catalyst are pleased to offer this introductory online project management course for the voluntary sector. The online content is designed for participants who want to understand the principles of project management, whether delivery is virtual or in the workplace.
- Overall course aim
The aim of this online course is to build participants’ skills in project management and provide an open virtual space to discuss current practice and the practical issues being faced in the workplace and learn from these. Over two sessions you will be guided through content adapted from the Chartered Management Institute Level 5 qualifications tailored to Project Management tools and techniques that can be taken back in to the workplace.
Session 1 - 1 September, 10am till 1pm
Session 2 - 8 September, 10am till 1pm
- Course objectives
This course will help you to understand the components of project stages and lifecycles. It will provide an understanding of project methodologies and their application, teaching you how to develop a project plan, identify/mitigate risks and construct a strategy for monitoring/review. You will leave with an understanding of the following areas and the tools required to:
- Define the stages of a project and develop an understanding of a project lifecycle from conception to commissioning/hand over. Using this knowledge, assess where projects fit into operational activities.
- Develop the ability to use various approaches and tools to manage a project and understand how to use these to form a business case and engage sponsors. This will include how to create an effective management environment/culture to support projects and identification of effective communication methods for each shareholder.
- Design a project plan to achieve a specified objective. This will include financial components such as risk appraisal for effective project design and control as well as a monitoring and review strategy for a project that assesses impact and achievement.
- Who was the course aimed at?
This online course is for those who have some experience managing projects, but wish to improve and consolidate these skills. The course is geared to those working in the voluntary sector.
- Entry requirements
There are no formal entry requirements
- Other Information
Session format: 2x 3-hour sessions, with plenty of time for discussion and questions.
Attendance: You must attend both parts of this online course in order to complete it and receive your Certificate of achievement.
- In house training service
- This course can be delivered in-house. Find out more
- £180 (member rate £110)
If you belong to an SCVO member/supporter organisation, please sign in with a My SCVO account before booking to save £70 on this course
Also on the following date
- 21 February 2023 Spaces availabile
Training delivered to your door
Our in-house training service provides a flexible, efficient and cost-effective way to upskill or reskill a group of staff at the same time.