Newmains Community Trust Ltd
Charity registered in Scotland SC042980
Aims & objectivesNewmains Community Trust was formed following an approach from the Big Lottery for the "Our Place" programme. Following a grant application, Big Lottery awarded Newmains £2.3m to construct a new Community Centre incorporating a community cafe, hall & replacement library for the village. The village of Newmains is a former mining community in the eastern edge of Wishaw, its population is around 6,000 people of which 61% is within the working age population however, just over 800 people are in employment (2008). Newmains has a substantial shortage of meeting space with community groups finding it difficult to meet and organise their activities in affordable and accessible venues. Community groups are also struggling to engage with a wider range of residents to increase their activities and participation levels as most groups operate on a home based and isolated manner. Awareness levels of what is going on in Newmains are low. Most of the community activities take place in the 2 churches, which represents a barrier for participation for some residents. School halls are expensive to hire and availability is limited with activities often taking place outside Newmains. In general terms the project will meet the outcome of people having better chances in life by; Offering the community a place to meet that will encourage local people to come together, meet and be involved in community activity, particularly the Our Place Programme. Bringing the community together in this way we will be able to work on ways to improve services and access to opportunities for those who need it most. Enabling us to source and provide support to the numerous small organisations who deliver valuable services to the community, but who have limited resources to publicise their achievements and involve more people. We will be able to help the community be involved and have their say in how it should develop and provide the chance for ongoing consultation, developing communications networks, marketing local events and celebrating achievements and providing a link between community groups and other agencies.
- Job number
- Time of attendance
- 5 hours between 9.00 - 7.00 Monday to Friday with occasional evening and weekend work for which TOIL will operate
- No of references
- Hours (per week)
- Not supplied
- Salary (£/hr)
- £9.50 per hour (This vacancy is for 16-24yrs only due to funding stream)
THIS VACANCY IS FOR 16-24YRS ONLY DUE TO FUNDING STREAM
The post holder will assist undertaking various tasks, including:
• Answering the main phone line and directing calls.
• Taking down and passing on messages where necessary.
• Greeting visitors, participants, suppliers, enquirers and directing them to as necessary.
• Maintaining an accurate Visitors book
• Assisting with mail in and out and any with bulk mailings or leafleting
• Preparing and word processing correspondence as needed.
• Assisting with filing, photo-copying, collating, sending faxes, shredding.
• Ensuring and maintaining a high standard of office organisation and presentation in the Reception Area – no clutter, clean & tidy, etc
• Assist with other administrative and NCT Centre duties as reasonably requested
setting up rooms for business meetings
• Be dependable, punctual and adhere to all aspects of Health & Safety
• Demonstrate good communication skills, together with a pleasant telephone manner
• Practice good numeracy and literacy skills and record messages correctly
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff/volunteers and the general public
• Communicate sensitively, politely and clearly to those using the facilities of the NCT Centre
• Maintain confidentiality at all times
• Show a positive and enthusiastic attitude to the work of Newmains Community Trust
• Perform reception duties in an efficient, professional and courteous manner
• Be proficient in using the latest versions of MS Word, Excel, etc.
Additional informationAn exciting opportunity to be involved in a new venture allowing the post holder opportunity to help shape the future running and administration of the NCT Centre.