Developing age-friendly communities in Scotland
Scottish Older People's Assembly
- Wednesday 15 June
- Time slot
This event took place 9 months ago
07745 355 234
- Policy & influencing Families and communities
- Overall aim
- Develop understanding of what an Age-friendly Community is
- Share learning on practical examples of Age-friendly Communities from other part of the UK
- Promote discussion and inspire places to become Age-friendly Communities in Scotland
- Provide information on where to go to get support to develop your Age-friendly Community
- Who was the event aimed at?
- Who spoke at this event?
- Sheena Fontana - Age-friendly Communities Development Worker
- Event summary and materials
What was covered in your sessions?
The workshop covered information giving on what an Age-friendly Community is and the evidence and rationale for using the framework to enable healthy and active ageing.The World Health Organisation Framework for Age-friendly Communities was shared and examples of activity in relation to each of the domains. There was input and discussion on activities that are Age-friendly that are happening across the UK and Scotland and ideas on how to progress this for Scotland. The SOPA funded project and links to the UK network for Age-friendly Communities as sources of support were shared.
Was there any useful feedback or reflection from the participants?
The workshop attracted a wide range of participants. There was feedback that a workshop related to Older People was in the minority at the Gathering and that older people’s issues did not appear to be on the Scottish Government’s or funders agenda.
The workshop participants were enthusiastic about Age-friendly work and gave examples of pockets of activity that addressed Age-friendly practice but wasn’t necessarily badged as AFC.
How people can find out more or get involved in your work?
Sheena Fontana Age-friendly Communities Lead
t 07745 355234
Sign up for our Events & Training bulletin
If you would like to receive regular updates on events we run, please enter your details below: