This website uses cookies for anonymised analytics and for account authentication. See our privacy and cookies policies for more information.

Supporting Scotland's vibrant voluntary sector

Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations

The Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations is the membership organisation for Scotland's charities, voluntary organisations and social enterprises. Charity registered in Scotland SC003558. Registered office Mansfield Traquair Centre, 15 Mansfield Place, Edinburgh EH3 6BB.

Music & film licensing

If you or people using your facilities use music for the benefit of customers, visitors or staff, by law you need permission from the relevant copyright owners in the form of a licence.

This includes playing live, recorded or broadcast music at public events, background music in shops, street performances, festivals, in day centres or for dancing or exercise classes. Licences are even required for offices and other workplaces.

More information

The Performing Right Society for Music (PRS) and Phonographic Performance Limited UK (PPL) joined forces in 2018 to streamline part of what they do, coming together to launch PPL PRS Ltd.

This means that businesses and organisations playing or performing music in public can now obtain a single licence, TheMusicLicence.

There are a range of tariffs to cover the different uses of music across various venue types. You can find more information about how much this license will cost for different sectors on TheMusicLicense website or call them on: 0800 086 8820

There is a charity and community discount scheme for TheMusicLicense.

To put on a public screening of a film you will need permission from the copyright owner of the film. Permission is granted in the form of a licence. For more information see the Independent Cinema Office website.

Last modified on 26 May 2022
Was this page helpful?


    Thanks for your feedback!